Skype
NovesNovele

A Prank Time A Prank Time

Dang, what a show off!

The animation took me by surprise. Way too normal looking for what you end up getting and I loved it. The insanity of it all...just wonderful. If I were to offer a criticism, it would be that I found the dad screaming bit too long, but that's where I feel you really showed off. The length of it only showed off the amount of ideas you can convey and how good your animation can be, so please, don't even take that as criticism.

The fluid animation of it (and the rest of the scenes) looked like it took a lot of work to do correctly and if I take a step back to appreciate just that, I feel like you really showed off a lot of creativity through ideas that seemed to get progressively stranger but were animated well enough to sell the strangeness. On top of that, it seems like getting the sound to match up would be a challenge in a few areas, but it flows smoothly with that liquid animation.

The story works by itself, but that added strangeness to juxtapose now normal it could have been gives it so much more personality. But above all I feel that you nailed the technical aspects to make this short one to remember, so go ahead, enjoy that feeling of vindication and self-confidence in your work. I'll be here hoping there's more to come.

Theres a Man in the Woods Theres a Man in the Woods

Wow this was nice.

There's a lot that I like in this video. The story itself, a dark tale with no true winning or losing for the protagonist or the antagonist. It's not a story type that's seen too often, and I like that. Perfect for the nearing of Halloween too. The art also seemed to agree with the story well. Bright, vividness in better days with darker tones as trouble continued to brew. Realistic facial expressions and body language that conveyed the necessary feelings of the characters. I loved the approaching lava as a metaphor for the imaginary danger zones kids can come up with (at least that's what I took it as). With the art is nice animation that looks like it comes from solid technique. Michael Paul Kennedy did an excellent job with the music as it helped drive the story with building intensity and menacing tone. I appreciate the timbre of the piano, as I'm uncertain if there was a better choice of instrument to express atmosphere like it did. I also had to like the writing and its rhyme. Michael Ho gave it a nice rhythm and an excellent delivery. My only criticism is that he sounded a bit young for the teacher's appearance, but it's negligible as it didn't pull me out of the immersion from the video until I watched it a second time in search of anything to give some constructive criticism.

And as far as constructive criticism goes...unless I really nitpick like in my last statement, I can't say much. To all three of you, keep up the great work and I'll be looking forward to your future projects!

An Animal Crossing Tale An Animal Crossing Tale

Too good not to comment on and a very nice tribute to the Animal Crossing series.

I loved the atmosphere set by the music and animation. A nice, bucolic town with no troubles that gains a dark secret come nightfall. Character interactions were believable and sounded nice, so great work with the writing and by the voice actors too.

If I were to offer any criticism, the running animation still seemed a little off. I'd like to be able to say why and give some more help, but I can't pinpoint it, sorry. Still, it's not enough to pull my immersion from the video and the animation has been improving from your past work (and I love seeing artists on here develop sharper skills).

Keep up the great work, man. Can't wait to see what's next!

Magic Wand Infomercial Magic Wand Infomercial

This was pretty good. I like the goofy premise and you delivered the humor well. Your animation skills are obviously improving too. It smoother than your older work (or at least, smoother than I remember) and looks sharper overall.

As far as some constructive criticism, I like your art style but think that some frames could be cleaned up. It's mostly little stuff like a line sticking out or the shading will look a little off to me (it's still better than anything I can come up with), but smoothing out all the details will really help out overall presentation. Also, I found some of the backgrounds to be bland by either lacking detail or the detail seemed so low-grade compared to the focal point of the foreground.

Still, this is good overall. Actually, I'm excited to see your future work because of the way you are improving. Just keep polishing up your animating skills and you'll never disappoint your fans.

Dual Force Dual Force

You're cartoons are getting better and more ambitious, and I like that. I think you did well with the audio choices and you've got a stellar voice cast, great job to all you! Also, you've got your own distinct art style that I like to see.

On the negative side, I will say that I didn't really enjoy the writing. The story was alright, but I can't say I got into it. I picked up on the jokes, but didn't get much out of them. It could just be my sense of humor though. Also, I feel as though the fight scene had some choppy animation that made the fight look awkward.

Don't get me wrong, I like this, but I want to give an honest review. I'll be looking for your work in the future and am excited to see what's next.

Twisted4000 responds:

Thanks a bunch, and no nothing is wrong with your sense of humor, I just have a weird sense of humor, unfortunately, lol. As for the battle scene though, I just didn't animate in 1s, I feel that if there's some choppiness it gives some flow and looks more lifelike. And not a prob, honest reviews are the best kind. Glad you enjoyed it overall.

Skitzo-Too Hot to Handle Skitzo-Too Hot to Handle

I always love these, so creepy. As always, the little details are what make it. I really liked that quick change in scenery when the fire alarm goes off, as though you see the world through Skitzo's perspective where everything is alright until his eyes go red and its a scene of dischord. The music slowing there was a great touch. The only way I could see this being better would be to keep the black screen and silence at the end instead of looping it to the preloader screen (not sure if that's possible with flash though). The extended pause of it at the end gave a sense of despair and hopelessness which only helped the overall creepiness of it (another great touch), but waiting for the preloader screen and have it never come...it just seems so dark and final.

Anyway, as a series, I like how it keeps to its dark theme (I think we all have an idea of how it's gonna end) as well as being a 1920's cartoon. The mix is such a juxtaposition and I love it every time! Keep up the great work!

Comick responds:

Ah thanks man! Glad you enjoy them :) Yeah I did actually have them orignally go to black and then stay there....I agree I liked the final-ness of the cartoon just ENDING and being silent and not reloading haha. But then people complained that they wanted to watch it again and they were annoyed about having to refresh or reload the toon every time so I made a compromise to still get my black silence in there but after a long while it will reload again heh. And thanks for watching them more coming soon....

Wii Dare U Wii Dare U

Like everything else I see you work on, I like this. It does what it is supposed to do, and is slightly humorous with its delivery. You'll get enough praise from others for the quality of this (as you should) so I'll get to my constructive criticism.

Your visual style seems to constantly change. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you've given us "Cyanide and Happiness" looking stickmen to well-drawn characters. This toon is somewhere in between. I'm not saying it would be better to have everything exquisitely drawn, but I'm glad you didn't use the stickmen. I think it wouldn't have delivered your message as well. Also, I was a bit distracted at first because the characters all looked like they came from "Adventure Time".

In all honestly, that's all I got for criticism. This was well done in all aspects, and I'll be waiting anxiously for what's next. I just hope that people will judge this for its delivery of an opinion of the Wii U (which I agree with), and not for the opinion itself.

Skitzo-"Spare a Dime?" Skitzo-"Spare a Dime?"

Heh, these are great. So messed up, but that's the point and I love it. The old cartoon style and gags conflict with the psychotic killings so much. Such a change of pace, hilarious.

It's done well too. The music, art style, and storytelling all fit together well with themselves and the style of old cartoons. The small details like film grain and the film sides only help. The only thing that would have made it seem more authentic is the music. Don't get me wrong, the choice of music was great, but it seemed too clear. I imagine it's hard to find music that sounds like it's played on an old Victrola, but I think it would only add to the contrast that makes these cartoons.

Also, I get what you're doing when you cut away and show the photograph. It adds to the overall effect of what's going on, but I think it takes away from the style a bit. I'd like to see an art style change like a more detailed drawing from the rest of the cartoon. Maybe something akin to the overly detailed drawings that Ren & Stimpy and Spongebob uses for some of their jokes. It would keep the continuity of the visual style while still helping support the contrast.

Whatever you do, I'll be watching and waiting. Keep up the great work.

Comick responds:

Thanks for the nice comment! :) I'm glad it read well and the cartoon flowed together smoothly. I know what you mean about finding some real old music and its harder to come by then you think! (at least samples that are in public domain). Lately I've been in works with a friend who can create some new 1920-ish tracks so that might be the next best option for me.

Oh and I dont know what you mean by cut away and show a photograph...Im guessing you mean the part where skitzos eyes are dollar sign in a circle cut frame and that was a style used in the 1920s as a form of focusing on a character to accent something important. I wouldn't throw is a spongebob or ren/stimpy into this since the point is to make it look like it came from Skitzo's "lost" cartoons in an older era of film. Also, haha and no offense but I'd also never add that "detailed funny face" type of thing to my cartoons because its DONE to DEATH and everyone in the world uses that as a trope for humor to the point it makes me groan in pain. But again thanks for the awesome review! :)

Lil' Paco Episode 1 Lil' Paco Episode 1

An interesting short. I love the cartoony feel of it. The animation and art seems a bit plain at times, it reminds me of some low-budget cartoons I used to watch as a kid. I still like it though, the overall style fits. The music fits the scenes well. The sounds seem off to me every now and then. I can't really place what it is though. I wish I could, as to offer some real critique, but it may just be me being obsessive in order to try and find something to improve. The story itself is written well, and the conflict in this episode leaves a lot of room for others I'll be waiting to watch. The only thing I didn't like is some of the referential humor, especially the "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?" clip. The jump from You think you're smart don't ya? to that made no sense to me...so maybe I just don't get it, but it was really out of place to me. Also, the Transvestites clip, while funny, didn't seem to be necessary at all as it didn't really pertain to the story in any way. Both are different from the Totoro reference as I get the joke and it helped explain the visit to N Cat. Still I feel as though if you bring your own material into the series instead of making jokes with others', that it brings more integrity to the series and is something that makes me appreciate a cartoon more.

All in all, I liked this cartoon. I'm looking forward to the progression of this series and hope to see it flourish. Keep up the great work!

BatOuttaHellStudios responds:

Thanks for the in-depth review, it helps give me ideas on how to improve in the future. On some of the referential jokes, it really started out as more of an experiment to see how people would react to crazy cut-away gags that have nothing to do with the plot a la Family Guy. (Especially with the Don't Cha gag) In the next episode, if I recall correctly, you won't see any cutaway jokes. And if the series continues from there you probably won't see any in later eps. Like you pointed out, it doesn't really mesh well with the story, and that's precious time that could be used developing characters. Fun experiment, though. Anyway, glad you liked it and are sticking around for future installments!

Wonders of the Universe 4 Wonders of the Universe 4

Another great episode! The crew did another wonderful job in all aspects and I can't really think of anything too improve upon with the animation, music, voice acting, sounds effects, etc. It's put together very well and I like it overall. The only constructive criticism I have is that the episode's plot was a parody of 2001: Space Odyssey.

Mind you, it was a good parody! Don't think I wouldn't appreciate another parody. I think I'm just a bit let down by the method of storytelling. I appreciate internet series for their originality. I don't mind a joke in the episode that references or parodies something else (the "It's a trap" dream joke for example), but this isn't a parody series. So when the main plot of an episode is a parody in this series I'll watch it with enthusiasm, laugh at it, enjoy it, and be entertained by it...but what makes me like this series are the things that set it apart from other space-themed shows.

What I did like is how the writing left plenty of room for speculation down the road, something I felt was lacking in the last episode. How is the flash drive going to affect the series in the short or long run? I can think of several different outcomes and await with anticipation. In retrospect, I suppose the parody served a purpose of continuing the overall story, but I still think I'd have liked it better with something more original.

Overall, it's no big deal with how the story is told to me. I'm just being nit-picky to come up with any constructive criticism, hence the 5 stars. I'd just rather try to offer something more than the deserved praise everyone else seems to be giving this.

Toonwerks responds:

One thing we tried to do was develop the episode where you could enjoy it even if you haven't seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, and except for maybe some of the climax and very end we think we managed to do that.

On top of that, 2001 is one of my (th1rt3en) absolute favorite films, so I took a lot of care in trying to make this 'feel' like the actual movie than just reference it. For instance the Blue Danube scene references the film but also uses the music effectively in the scene; it wasn't just there to be a reference.

We've got a few original and parody ideas planned so there will be a mix. As we're all fans of the sci-fi genre I doubt we'll be able to stay away from references. For now at least :)

Thanks for the review!